What is a Sulfate-free shampoo?
Sulfates are chemical surfactants that are commonly added to shampoo as they are effective cleaning agents. It blends with water to generate a rich and bubbly lather that washes away dirt and oil from hairs. However, they are also aggressive detergents and their regular use ends up depleting the natural moisturizing oils that are essential for healthy hair. This might result in dry and brittle hair and can leave sensitive scalps irritated. The most commonly used sulfates in the haircare industry include Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), parabens, phthalates, and triethanolamine (TEA).
On the other hand, most sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners comprise ingredients derived primarily from plants and natural ingredients. They may not produce as much foam as their chemical counterparts do, but are equally effective with the hair and scalp, and are an excellent substitute for those with sensitive skin.
Benefits of Sulfate-free shampoo
Best Sulphate-free shampoos offer several benefits – both in the short and long run.
- Soothes the scalp: Sulfate-free shampoos are gentler on the scalp and do not over-strip the hair while cleansing.
- Natural moisturizer: Sulfate-free shampoos help retain natural moisture in the hair and do not tamper with the natural oils in the scalp. They work with low-porosity hairs and aid them to gain moisture.
- Retains natural hair texture and colour: Sulphate-free shampoos and conditioners retain the natural texture and colour of the hair. It has also been found to arrest premature greying of the hair. Moreover, they are considered a better option for those who love their curls.
- Easy on the eyes: Sulfate-free shampoos are gentle on the eyes and do not result in severe burning of the eyes while using.
- Environment friendly: As most of the ingredients used to prepare sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners are derived from plants, they are sustainable and environmentally friendly.
Advantages of Natural Sulfate-free Shampoos
Just like natural hair care products, Ayurvedic cleaning ingredients make the best of sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners. Natural herbs used extensively in Ayurveda such as Amla, Neem, Aloe Vera, Shikakai, Bringhraj, and hibiscus among others have been traditionally found very effective in treating and managing a whole range of hair and scalp-related challenges. Many experts feel that sulfate-free herbal shampoos are a better alternative to their chemical counterparts when it comes to daily use and long-term results.
Best Sulfate-free Shampoos and Conditioners
For all those who are interested to switch to healthy and happy hair, here is a compilation of the five best sulfate-free shampoos for consideration:
This Ayurveda Shampoo is a top-class solution for dry scalp and hair breakage problems. Loaded with the natural benefits, it promises to hydrate, cleanse and nourish the hair at the same time. Considered to be a highly effective sulfate-free shampoo for hair fall, this product is 100% vegetarian, SLS/SLES free, and is certified ‘organic’ by COSMOS, France. This ayurvedic formulation is perfectly balanced, is suitable for all hair types, and is free from paraben, silicone, lead, phthalates, mineral oil, petrolatum, and any kind of synthetic fragrance.