Red Rice Palau
The Red Rice Palau is an aromatic and quick dish for a meal.
Preparation time: 40 minutes.
Red rice: 2 cups.
Ghee/oil: 2 tbs.
Bay leaves: 2 nos.
Cinnamon: 1-inch pc.
Cardamom: 3 nos.
Cloves: 5 nos.
Cauliflower: 1 small.
Potatoes: 2 medium-sized.
Beans: 100 grams.
Carrot: 1 no.
Peas: 100 grams.
Onion: 2 medium-sized.
For garnishing: Cashew nuts and almonds.
- Wash and soak red rice in water for at least one hour.
- Drain out the water and cook the rice in a pressure cooker with four cups of water and salt for at least three whistles.
- Cut the vegetables into medium sizes and slice the onions.
- In a wok, heat ghee or oil and lightly fry cashews and almonds. Remove and keep aside.
- Next, add whole spices to the same wok. Stir it on medium heat for 2 minutes, and then add the sliced onions.
- When the onion turns pink, put in the vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and cook until tender. Take care not to overcook the vegetables, as they should retain their crunchiness.
- Gently add cooked red rice to the vegetables and mix well. Cover and let it sit for two minutes on medium flame so that the rice soaks in all the flavours.
- Sprinkle fried cashews and almonds as garnish before serving.
Red Rice Tomato Soup
It could be a perfect one-pot light meal for the day when one is feeling lazy.
Time: 25 minutes.
Rice: ½ cup.
Tomatoes: 5-6 medium-sized.
Pepper: ½ tsp.
Olive oil: 1 tbs.
Onion: 1 no.
Garlic: 5-6 cloves chopped.
Bell pepper: Red and green cut into small pieces.
Basil leaves: optional.
Green chilly: 1 no.
- Wash and keep aside red rice soaked in water for at least one hour. Cook the rice either in a pressure cooker or an open pan.
- Boil tomatoes and puree them in a mixer. The puree can be sieved or used as it is.
- Sauté the sliced onion in olive oil till it turns pink. Add garlic and fry the mix for a minute.
- Add diced red and green peppers. Sauté the mixture on medium heat for a few minutes. Add tomato puree, and when it comes to a boil, add rice. Let it cook until the tomato puree turns creamy.
- Add crushed pepper, basil leaves, and butter, and turn off the heat. Let it rest for one minute before serving.
- To reduce the tanginess of tomatoes, and if one is not counting calories, cream too can be added.
There is a general inhibition in adopting red rice as a regular staple, considering it takes longer to cook than white rice. The above recipes need to be tried out to dispel any notion.
Amala Earth is a one-stop curated marketplace for all things earth-friendly in beauty, fashion, home, food, wellness, festive, gifting, and much more! Shop from a vast collection of organic, healthy foods on www.amala.earth.